nafex - [NAFEX] Downy Serviceberry

  • From: Chex <chex.rice@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Downy Serviceberry
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:38:20 -0500

Some years back I planted Northline, and Honeywood varieties of
Saskatoon or Amelenchiar Alnifolia and noticed that in my area the
plants leaves all die back in July. I think it is cedar apple rust.
I think that it is to hot here in our zone 5a in Northern Illinois for
the Alnifolia strains. Many of the berries abort and some are rather
dry and mealy.

Downy Serviceberry is native to my area and is planted all over the
area as a landscaping plant that requires no care and is not
succeptable to the leaf die back. The downy serviceberry has tasty
sweet and juicy fruit that is slightly smaller and less productive
than the Canadian selections of Alnifolia. I am curious if anyone has
made selections of the Downy Serviceberry (amelenchiar arborea) or has
done any breeding with the Downy Serviceberry for improved fruit
quality?

Chris Rice
zone 5a, Illinois, USA