nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Michurin Cherry

  • From: Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: dwoodard@becon.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Michurin Cherry
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:29:56 -0600

HI Douglas,

All our pure sour cherries including 'Fruchtbare von Michurin' are only a
few feet high because of continual die back, usually to the snow line. Those
trees are 6 years old.
Under those conditions I can't make much comment.
We are using it as a male parent in breeding on the advice of Bill Lay who
sent me 10 varieties that he thought I should be using in my program.
But we get -40 C almost every winter with -35 C guaranteed.

Regarding the U of Sk cherries, I do wonder how they will do for disease
resistance in warmer areas. We have little disease pressure for any of our
fruit crops due to the short growing season and usually dry conditions. Our
apples which are practically scab free here often get it in more humid
areas. Michigan is putting in a large trial of our two varieties that have
been virus-free certified: Carmine Jewel and Crimson Passion. We should
know much more about their adaptability in a few years.

Cheers,

Dr. Bob Bors
Head of the Fruit Breeding Program
Dept. of Plant Sciences