nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Having problems with my grafts: buds drying-out after budding.

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Having problems with my grafts: buds drying-out after budding.
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:20:53 -0400

Steve, I also lost a few persimmon grafts this spring that behaved similarly.
Here is my theory of what happened. We had a heat wave not long after I did
the grafts and it was so hot that I think the scions prematurely sprouted
even though the graft had not calloused yet. So, they grew for a bit but
after about half an inch or an inch of growth there was no more energy in the
scion and no connection to the main root, so they withered.

Of the persimmon grafts I did right before the heat wave all of them sprouted
too quickly and then died, except one which did not sprout at all but is just
now sprouting well so it looks like a take, and one which never quite died
and I am hoping will start re-growing soon. I don't know for sure why the
one decided not to sprout in the heat, but it was lower on the tree and in
more shade. What I plan to do next time there is a heat wave is to put up a
shade cloth barrier so no direct sun strikes the new grafts. If you put up a
sun barrier make sure to not make it a mini-greenhouse which will get too hot
inside.

Scott