nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Having problems with my grafts: buds drying-out after budding.

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Having problems with my grafts: buds drying-out after budding.
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 07:34:21 -0600

I'm not a persimmon grafter, so feel free to disregard what I'm about to
write if there are special, persimmon-specific grafting techniques.

It sounds like you're working with dormant scion material. If this is the
case, then I'd try bark grafting. It's an easy technique, and I believe Joe
Real (google his tutorials on the technique if you're new to it) has used it
with great success for persimmons. If your problem was the bud running out
of reserves before the callouses adequately formed, perhaps using a scion
stick would provide additional reserves. You can still use techniques to
shade or keep the scion moist if necessary, but on stone and pome fruits I
haven't found this to be necessary.

For budding, I use the current season's (non-dormant) growth, and I've had
better results later in the summer when buds are more mature. Often these
buds remain dormant for the remainder of the summer and then grow out the
following year. It is possible to force the buds out of dormancy if you bud
in the earlier part of the summer by partially cutting the understock and
bending it over above the bud.

All the best,
Chris Kennel
Denver, CO