nafex - [NAFEX] Looking for certain plum varietries

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Looking for certain plum varietries
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:58:33 EDT

Dear Group,

I have the following request from a breeder at Cornel Univ. Can anyone
help? If so contact me off line and I'll put you in direct contact.

If you read The Plums of New York, you can see a lot of evidence that Iowa
was a hotbed of amateur diploid plum breeding in the 19th century. Over the
last ten years or so, I have tried without any success to find whether any
of the Iowa bred plums from that era still persist in the form of living
trees. Some of the more noteworthy varietal names are: Downing, Hammer,
Hawkeye, Milton, Crescent City, Gold, Nellie Blanche, Patten, Wragg, Budd,
Dennis, &
Mathews.  Do you think a NAFEX plum expert could shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Jerry