nafex - Re: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:08:52 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2011 7:31:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
swim_at_svc@yahoo.com writes:

> There are other edible varieties of Elaeagnus as well, but I have not
> heard of them being as high quality as the one you describe. It may be
> worthwhile propagating and I too would like to find out what it is.
> Perhaps some
> of the experts here can help?

The description of the fruit sounds similar to E. latifolia. I saw and
tasted them in a fruit market in Thailand a few years back. But that would be
subtropical and likely not hardy in her area. The fruits were about thumb
size and looked exactly as a gumi only much larger. It also tasted like gumi.
Her description of the leaves don't match the one I have growing here in the
green house. It has flowered but no fruit.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi, Jwlehman, 05/31/2011