nafex - Re: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 04:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

Your regular goumi fruit sounds undersized.  Pictures to access would be
helpful, showing the ripe fruit, the seed, the leaves, and one of the branch
shape (the whole tree shape would be nice but unavailable)

Since you grafted this to a "goumi", then it is likely you have an Elaeagnus
of some sort.  However, if I were to make a bet, I'd bet that what you
grafted is actually a quality goumi to another inferior goumi (initially from
a seedling).  Your description of the graft's fruit sounds closer to a
quality goumi that what you described as the graft root stock plant.  I am
puzzled by the mention of brown on the underside of the leaves.

There are other edible varieties of Elaeagnus as well, but I have not heard
of them being as high quality as the one you describe.  It may be worthwhile
propagating and I too would like to find out what it is.  Perhaps some of the
experts here can help?

Apparently someone sold a batch of Autumn Olive seeds to some growers in the
PNW as Goumi seeds.  These growers have been selling the resulting plants
incorrectly (and inadvertently) as Goumi.  Hopefully that has been
straightened out by now.  However, your "Goumi" is fruiting at the correct
time for Goumi, so I do not think that is an issue here, but I would ask why
your Goumi fruit (original tree) is so small.

Save the seeds.  There are likely those here, including myself, that would
like to give them a try, pending an ID.

John