nafex - [NAFEX] How about raspberry cane mulch?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How about raspberry cane mulch?
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:44:45 -0500

Sarah Ewing wrote : "I also used to mulch with sawdust from our local mills and I also used to make a doughnut of animal bedding out from the bases of all my trees. I discovered the hard way that that trees aren't the only living things that loved what I was doing. Won't do either of those things ever again."

I mulch my apple trees with shredded raspberry canes mixed with shredded tree branches. I apply it about 2-3" thick and haven't had any problem with girdled trees. But then, it could be that my cats solve the problem of rodents because they keep themselves well fed.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472