nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 20:54:11 +0000

I've tried to write descriptions for regular old eating-apples vs little
crabapples, and I settled on these 3 things: "crabapple" will usually have a
longer & thinner fruit stem, and a small or closed blossom scar, and inside
the apple the envelopes around the seeds (ovary walls? many apologies to
those who know I should know this) are tougher and usually more cupped.
These 3 are all more extreme in the "berries" made by flowering crabs (or at
least the ones which make clusters of "berries".)

The last time I tried to look up a clear explanation of botanical
differences, latin name distinctions, pedigrees, etc., I got dizzy. Sorry.