nafex - [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:52:47 -0500

Hate to throw cold water on all the positive revues of Liberty, but I don't
feel it is a distinctive apple at all. Doesn't have that special Macintosh
crunch of Mac (which lasts about 2 weeks off the tree!) not especially
aromatic as is Mac, but harder fleshed, which can be appealing. To me it's
an average apple, but the tree is a fruit machine annually and the disease
resistance is useful if you're growing organically. If you're using
synthetics for insect control- and believe me, Liberty is a plum curc
sponge- it's no big deal to throw some Rally (Immunox) in the mix.

Williams Pride and Goldrush are the only scab resistant varieties I've tried
that I really like, and WP just for being good early in the season when I
don't really eat apples much anyway. Goldrush is as good as any heirloom or
gourmet variety I've tasted but I love a dense fleshed, high brix, complex
apple, (lots of acid with that sugar) which Liberty is not.

I manage Liberties at lots of orchards and it is one of the most likely to
be wasted because of lack of general interest by owners and their visitors.
Leads me to believe that the general public may not rate this apple as a
great one on average.

Freedom is a good sweet and like Liberty, very easy to manage.

This is all based on how these apples taste as grown in southeastern NY, Z6,
and, of course, my own particular tastes.