nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interesting fruit juices

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interesting fruit juices
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:18:35 -0400

The juices I mentioned seem to be marketed (experimentally at the moment) to the carriage trade, the well-heeled. If North Americans tried to horn in on the market I expect that the Turks and importers together would reduce their prices to whatever it took to maintain market dominance. There is a fairly cheap pomegranate juice sold here, Cedar brand from Iran, at $2.99 per litre in tetrapacks.

Turkey seems to dominate dried apricots and I see 8 oz. packages in the supermarkets for $1.20-1.50, bulk at $3.50 to $4.00 per pound (I presume there is less competition in the bulk trade via the Bulk Barn etc.). It's been years since I have seen North American canned apricots, and since the St. Davids canning plant went out of business all the canned peaches are imported from low wage countries. Greece seems to dominate there. Morello cherries in glass jars come from Hungary or Poland. North American Montmorency cherries are available in 10 lb. buckets for a few weeks immediately after the harvest.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario