nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Tree Pollination

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Tree Pollination
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:53:34 -0400

I believe the problem is that pear nectar is lower in sugar content than many others - 20% sticks in my mind, where some other species go up to 50%. The bees prefer more concentrated nectars when they can get them. I think it is a common practice to mow dandelions when the pears are in bloom.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada