nafex - [NAFEX] Codling Moth vs. Wormwood

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Codling Moth vs. Wormwood
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 22:14:44 +0000

Hello Plantaholics;

Wormwood is supposed to repel moths. I believe it probably does, as I have it
growing in both zone 6 MA and zone 4 ME.
Man; is it camphorous! This is the real Artemesia Absinthum, Mr. Thujone
himself.
So, I'm thinking of planting some at the base of a few apple trees to ward
off Codling Moths, in a controlled experiment.
The stuff really doesn't get huge until late May or June, after the
pollinators are done, but it does grow some before that.
Does anybody know if Wormwood repels bees? That would suck.
Actually, one could just chop the plant on Tax Day, and not worry about that
I suppose.

I grew this stuff from seeds, and it was very easy to germinate. Too easy,
really.
If you don't want this stuff all over your property, cut the seed heads off.
My gosh does it reseed!

As far as bee attracting plants go, I'm cool. This is the first 'repellant'
plant I've considerd.
Please chime in with your thoughts!

Thanks

Murph