nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricot pollenization

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricot pollenization
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:38:05 -0400

On Mar 26, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

> My apricot tree is covered with blossoms,but it is 35 degrees and we are
> supposed to get snow tonight and there are no bugs or bees out. Any chance
> blossoms will get fertilized? It is self-fertile and I've had apricots
> before. Should I try artificial fertilization with a brush? jerry in
> southern Indiana

My departed apricot used to do that. I worried about pollination almost
every year, and yet it set fruit. Some years I did go out with a Q-tip and
hand-pollinate, but I don't think I had to. I think it was pollinated by
tiny flies that were around early in the spring. Some years it got lucky and
waited long enough to bloom to attract a single early bumble bee.

Anyhow, it couldn't hurt to go out with a brush.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6