nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for a dwarf sour cherry (P. cerasus) recommendation...

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for a dwarf sour cherry (P. cerasus) recommendation...
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:10:38 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I couldn't agree more. 'North Star' has been a consistent winner for me as
well in Zone 7 northern Georgia and in Zone 8 of North Carolina. They are
slightly more tart than 'Montmorency', but all of my family likes to eat
'North Star' cherries right off the tree, when they are fully ripe. Our
oldest North Star is just beginning to blossom today. Beautiful tree and
easy to manage. Growth habit is terrific. Crotch angles naturally are wide,
unlike some like Belle Magnifique (OK, that's a Duke, but a good example of a
cherry with narrow angles).

Anton