nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting with non-dormant scions

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting with non-dormant scions
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:44:35 -0500

Mauch1 asked, "I'd be interested in hearing about your specific technique."

For grafting onto a growing tree using non-dormant scions, I remove all leaves from the scions that might be capable of respiration, leaving only proto-leaves. Although I used this technique back when I was teaching myself grafting, I still do it occasionally. Unlike chip budding, this practice only works (for me) when the scion has an apical meristem.
A good comparison would be like transplanting curcubits which some say is impossible. Curcubits often die quickly after transplanting because the large leaves respirate (lose water) faster than the disturbed roots can take it in. If, however, all but proto-leaves are removed, curcubits transplant quite nicely.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Grafting with non-dormant scions, Jim Fruth, 03/17/2011