nafex - [NAFEX] pawpaw scion request and question....

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw scion request and question....
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:42:10 EDT

I have some Mango Pawpaw to send to you. I'd be glad to trade for fig
cuttings,
Send me your mailing address off list and I will send you Mango pp Priority
Mail.

Here is my thoughts on Pawpaw grafting, but other opinions would be
welcome.

First, I have successfully grafted pawpaw using whip&tongue. But my
grafting
seems hit or miss. I either get almost 100% take or 0%. And I haven't
been
able to tease out the difference between years.

First from some early reading I did on the subject, the scionwood should be
kept
dormant in your refrigerator. You should graft once the rootstock starts
to push out
new growth.

Then graft the scionwood with w&t as usual but after the graft is done,
you must
attach a stiff stick to both to the rootstock and the scionwood to
stabilize the
graft (more on why this is later).

I would cover the scionwood in one of two ways. Either completely wrap
the scion
with stretched parafilm (do this before the stiffener is attached) or after
the stiffener
is attached cover the scion with a plastic bag (lightly moistened inside)
cinched
at the bottom and then partially cover the plastic bag (I use a paper lunch
bag with
holes if I go this method) to keep overheating down. Either of these
actions helps
keep the scion from drying out. Strip all new growth on the rootstock.

Assuming the scion takes (keep stripping rootstock growth), wait until the
scion is
growing vigorously, probably sometime in July, remove the grafting cover.
Unlike
any other tree I've grafted, pawpaw will not stretch or swell underneath
grafting
material. So often above and below the graft will be twice as thick as
the graft
area (thus the reason for the stiffener). Once you carefully cut off the
grafting
material, the graft will swell to the same size as the rest of the growth.
In a year
or two, it becomes almost impossible to tell where the graft was made.

Hope this helps.