nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rust on Juneberry in the southeast

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rust on Juneberry in the southeast
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:11:20 -0500

My experience has been with 'Regent'and some unknown varieties in town
landscaping.

I have witnessed very heavy rust damage to fruit most years. I removed
my Regent because it was taking up space and provided no useable fruit.
The last year in the ground, I removed infected fruit as I detected them
multiple times per week so that the fruit would not produce infective
spores via mature aecia and amplify the problem. Despite my vigilance,
none of the fruit was able to be used. Of course there were multiple
sources of infection (my nearby junipers and pomes), and I was only
addressing one.

On the other hand, I have had good luck (so far) with my flowering
quince fruit. I removed visibly infected fruit last year and the
remaining fruits gave me a small crop. We shall see this year. In my
brief experience, the problem tends to amplify each year.

Betsy Hilborn
7a Central NC