nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No new growth

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No new growth
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:38:41 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

David,
I had an old pear tree that was all spurs, produced bushels of pears in spite
of thinning to less than one fruit per spur, and it had less than 2 inches of
spindly new growth each year. The tree was about 100yrs old. An local
grafter told me to strip all the pears off one side of the tree in the
Spring, which I did, got about 8 inches of new growth on that side later that
year, grafted them on to a couple rootstocks, and now have two new 10 foot
trees. He told me to keep all fruit off the tree until it was the size I
wanted and then let it produce like it's parent. The fruit is the old hard
"round-top" pear that requires a few weeks in the garage after I pick it.
The old tree went down in a storm four years ago.
Jim