nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mystery apple trees

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mystery apple trees
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:07:11 +0000

I read recently "The Grafter's Handbook" (which is a bit large to be
described as a handbook) by one of the big names (Garner) at East Malling
Research Station in the UK in which he illustrates this very technique.
My understanding is that the first season the grafted roots will do the job
supporting life for the scion. Since you'd selected only a portion of a much
larger root, there will be considerable growth below ground to match that
above. If the graft union remains under the surface of the soil longer, the
scion itself will begin to produce roots and they will supercede the grafted
roots, unless you grafted onto the same cultivar.

Let's say you wished to produce a younger-bearing tree that is dwarfed to
some extent and perhaps borrows some disease resistance to fireblight, you
could do that with a portion of a Geneva rootstock and re-plant it once it is
well established so the graft union stands above ground in order to retain
the advantages of dwarfing, cold hardiness and fireblight resistance.

That's my understanding. Anyone on the list wish to correct any
misconceptions?

Dave Liezen