nafex - [NAFEX] restoring wild grapes

  • From: mike engle <speigletown@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] restoring wild grapes
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:34:52 -0500

Background: 70+ years ago, my great-grandfather had about 100-150 Concord
grape vines that he hired some Italians to take care of. When they became
too old and gave the house to my grandparents, they stopped growing the
grapes.
Today, there are a few wild grapes growing in two locations, one about 50
feet from that original location, and the other maybe ~5000 feet away. This
year, I am planting five other varieties of grapes on the original location.
A relative of mine just passed away, but he mentioned that he wanted to bring
those grapes back to grow for himself.
My questions: I assume I don't want wild grapes growing too close to
non-wild grapes? So should I cut down these wild grapes? But as a tribute I
would like to get a couple of vines of these original grapes back into
non-wild status. Is this possible, and is there a best way I should go about
this?

Michael Engle
Troy, NY - 5