nafex - [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomitka as rootstock

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomitka as rootstock
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:26:31 -0600

Dan Nave wrote, "I wonder if you could grow the Argutas on a rootstock of Kolomikta. If that works, you might be able to use the existing roots to grow another variety, and possibly dwarf the Argutas."

What I suspect would happen is something I saw happen with European Plums grafted onto less than vigorous rootstock. The scions grew twice as fast as the rootstock resulting in curious misshapen growths. Some tipped over when the rootstock couldn't support the top growth. Bark tended to split at the graft causing dry-out. If a similar thing happens with Actinidia, it would definitely be a conversation topic.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomitka as rootstock, Jim Fruth, 02/14/2011