nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting kolomikta onto arguta kiwi

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting kolomikta onto arguta kiwi
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:57:53 -0500

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:52:13 -0600
From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomitka

I was reading up on chip-budding and the article I saw indicated that Actinidia (kiwi) could be chip-budded.

I wonder if you could grow the Argutas on a rootstock of Kolomikta. If that works, you might be able to use the existing roots to grow another variety, and possibly dwarf the Argutas.

Just thinking out loud, so to speak ...I mean, write.

Dan

This gives me the idea to allow another shoot of my Arguta to grow, then graft Kolomikta on it below the canopy of the Arguta. That way, the Arguta provides shade for the Kolomikta.

My Arguta is still filling out the arbor, I suppose the shade might be too dense once it is mature. How much light does Kolomikta need to fruit?

Alex
Zone 6, Pennsylnvania

  • [NAFEX] Grafting kolomikta onto arguta kiwi, Alexander Brands, 02/14/2011