nafex - [NAFEX] actinidea Kolomitka in full sun

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] actinidea Kolomitka in full sun
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:23:07 -0600

I grew several of the selected Kolomitka varieties in full sun for several
years and the problem was that they almost always got fried by late frost
because they leaf out over a week before Argutas and they're tender as
tomatoes. I've found Argutas far more reliable and almost, but not quite,
worth growing. For me they are primarily a forage kind of crop, fun to eat
off the plant but not worth the trouble of gathering, even when they do get
adequately pollinated. Nice spray-free fruit though and they're good at
covering unsightly electric poles. Too much pruning!

Maybe growing Kolomitkas in the shade retards leafing out a bit, but the
fruit is still not as good (big) as the best Argutas. Kolomitkas are
probably better for Z4 or below.

  • [NAFEX] actinidea Kolomitka in full sun, Alan Haigh, 02/13/2011