nafex - [NAFEX] Compac-Red Haven peach

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Compac-Red Haven peach
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 00:08:29 -0600

Hello All,

As a former regular member of this list before the practical side of
orcharding and breeding took over all my time, I know that many of you like
to experiment with new and unusual fruits, as I do. So I come to you now
looking for an unusual peach cultivar, 'Compac-Red Haven', to use in my peach
breeding program for cold MN climates. The variety came about as a single
gene mutant found in a block of Red Haven peaches in the early 1970's. The
new cultivar is characterized by short internodes (many branches), 20%-30%
shorter tree height and a horizontal spreading branching habit. These things
combine to make it a very bushy tree form, which is the characteristic I want
to introduce into my breeding. The traditional Red Haven qualities of early
ripening and some hardiness also contribute to it's desirability for northern
regions. It is not particularly productive and fruit quality is variable.

Compac-Red Haven was licensed to Van Well Nursery and later to Stark and
Bountiful Ridge Nurseries and many trees were sold in the 80's and 90's,
mostly in ones and twos to backyard orchardists. It is not in any repository
or in any government or University breeding programs at this time and the
mother trees of the nurseries that propagated and sold it have been removed,
or in the case of Bountiful Ridge, the nursery is no longer in business.
Where it was tested and used for breeding it has been discarded, to the best
of my knowledge based on an exhaustive search. I would think that there are a
great many Compac-Red Havens still growing in people's back yards around the
country and that, I believe, is the last best hope for finding it. So if you
have it, think you might have it, think you might know somebody who has it,
or even somebody who has a peach "bush" with fruit that ripens with Red Haven
I would greatly appreciate your contacting me off list. Thank you.

Dave Griffin