nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beans and corn, no, beans ON corn

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beans and corn, no, beans ON corn
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:36:17 -0500

Jerry,

Some folks at Cornell just published research on this.  They replicated what was known of the agricultural practices of the Iroquois in New York.

They found that the system we call ‘the three sisters’ was beneficial for the corn, producing greater yields, but lowered the yields of beans; notwithstanding, it may have produced a net gain if you consider that corn was the staple crop, not the beans.  Please contact me offline and I will send you the article.

With snow melting…

Michele in SW Ohio