nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dog breeds for orchards

  • From: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dog breeds for orchards
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:52:39 -0500

We have standard collies. They live outside year round and only come in on the coldest, wettest nights -about a half dozen a year in central Maine. We do not chain or fence them in. They never roam. They will not walk in a garden. You can stand on one side and call them and they will always walk all the way around. They never bite people. They do not bother domestic animals including chickens. They will bark all night sometimes if four legged intruders are threatening. Since having them - about 20+ years now- we have never had any deer damage and we live deep in the woods. They are the perfect farm/orchard dog.

Best regards,
John Bunker and Cammy Watts
Super Chilly Farm
167 Turner Mill Pond Rd