nafex - [NAFEX] Planting for possible changes

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting for possible changes
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:09:57 -0500

Good topic, Evan. Traditionally my hollow was apples. As a fellow born in
the
1910's said, "In the hollow was apples, and that's what we sold, and on the
slopes
was corn, and that's what we ate". Of course his sloped land is very eroded
and
poor now.

In this area of Central Virginia it does seem like apples are ripening in
warmer
weather, making them mushy and full of rots. I am trying a variety of
species to
hedge my bets. I've had a bit of success with pecan varieties usually grown
far
south of here. Fig survival has been great, but production poor. If it does
get
warmer and drier both, I'm hoping figs will be very happy. The pecans I
plant low
near creeks, as they like a lot of water in late summer.

My biggest success has been fuzzy kiwifruit. I don't normally sell fruit,
but with
over ten bushels from two vines, this year I sold the first local fuzzy
kiwifruit ever
offered in Charlottesville. Even in my frost-resistant site, though, I've
needed the
short season varieties Elmwood and Saanichton to get them to ripen.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
elevation 1,250 ft.