nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting beans?

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting beans?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:31:12 -0500

Purdue recommends  rotation for green beans-probably 2-3 years would be good.  They are subject to various diseases and pests, some soilborne, and pest populations can build up if they are repeatedly grown in the same spot.  IF you haven’t had problems, you’re lucky.  Recommended spacing for bush types is 2-4” between seeds, and wider spacing for pole types.

Regarding atmospheric fixation of nitrogen, beans and many other legumes are able to fix nitrogen in the soil atmosphere through their symbiotic association with Rhizobium bacteria.  This doesn’t occur in the air above ground, only in the root zone, as far as I know.

This is a little off topic, but has anyone seen recent research on the three sisters technique for squash, corn and beans?

Michele in SW Ohio