nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Call for help with an online Plant Database

  • From: refugia <refugia@zoho.com>
  • To: <goldengatecrfg@yahoogroups.com>, <polyculturepeople@yahoo.com>, <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Call for help with an online Plant Database
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 18:13:36 -0800

           Hi Permaculturalists,

Can you spare a few hours for some data entry for a Permaculture project?

I am in the process of creating a Permaculture Plant
Database<http://www.beetlemoose.com/PlantDB/charSelect.php>that is
free and open to the public. There are about 300 plants in the
database so far with characteristics that Permaculturalists might find
useful: Functions, physical description, blooming times, beneficial insects
attracted, etc. In the near future, users will be able to leave comments
about their experiences with certain plants so in this way users can learn
from each other.

My hope is that the more information that is in the database, the more it
can help novice Permaculturalists like myself find the plants to fill
certain niches in the garden. The thing is, I need some help with data
entry. I have lists of scores of plants (mainly perennials) and many of
their characteristics, and I want to put the word out that anyone interested
in volunteering a few hours for this project would be greatly appreciated.

If you reply to me I can supply you with the plant lists and a user-friendly
Excel template on which to record the information.

The effort requires some computer experience (Excel spreadsheets, drop-down
boxes), and some knowledge of plants would be helpful. The benefits include
getting familiar with plants that fit into various Permaculture patterns,
and potentially helping to develop the project further.

So that's my pitch. Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
Michael

  • [NAFEX] Fwd: Call for help with an online Plant Database, refugia, 01/07/2011