nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:01:21 -0500

On Jan 1, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Bill Garthright wrote:

>> What got me started on fruit was that I originally wanted to grow some
>> apricots in my yard. ... I'm in St. Paul, Mn which should be zone 4a.
>

> I'm in zone 5, so my experience might not be useful. But my apricots grow
> great here. The problem is that they almost never produce fruit, because
> the blossoms freeze. They don't seem to have any problem with our winters,
> but here on the Great Plains, the spring weather is too variable. We almost
> always get warm weather followed by a cold snap. And whereas my plums and
> pluots can usually take that just fine during bloom, my apricots can't.

I have a Puget Gold in zone 6, eastern MA. Well, I have a baby, because the
first one mysteriously died (consensus was either borers or a fungus that
causes ooze.) A friend in Cambridge, MA, has a large one that's been
fruiting for years. (Cambridge is a little milder than where I live, 15
miles inland.)

We also have variable springs. The apricot blooms very early, and there's
often a frost during it's bloom time. it seems to fruit anyway. I don't
think we've ever had a really hard killing frost while it is in bloom, but
most years there are a couple of nights below freezing during or after its
bloom.

The squirrels love it, and if the new one fruits I doubt I'll get any. My
friend in Cambridge gets gazillions of apricots, and the squirrels destroy
about 1/3 of his crop, but he still gets more than he knows what to do with.

Ginda