nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post.

  • From: Bill Garthright <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post.
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:40:39 -0600

Firstly, thank you very much for each of the replies on hawthorn as a hedgerow against deer.  I just had a thought: what about American plum?

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about that. But if you've got other fruit trees around, you would have to spray your plum hedgerow, wouldn't you? Otherwise, they'd be a reservoir of insect pests.

I think if I were planting a hedgerow, and not wanting to pick the fruit at all, I'd choose something without fruit - or, at least, something which wouldn't attract fruit pests quite so badly. Here, at least. I don't know about your situation.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally. - W. C. Fields

  • Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post., Bill Garthright, 01/01/2011