nafex - [NAFEX] Scion wood deal?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scion wood deal?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:53:26 +0000

To the List:

A fellow who owns an orchard near town plans to buy rootstock and graft whatever I can bring to help him with. Since I'm still new to apple growing, I have only three types of scionwood available in my yard or in a friend's to bring to this opportunity. I hope to introduce a number of heritage cultivars that I believe will enhance what these folks already grow - they run a U-pick and squeeze apple juice each week thru the picking season.

Looking at Nick Botner's list, I see it would cost me $78. for wood and shipping to obtain only 17 sticks of as many cultivars. If I wanted two sticks of most of them - well, my usually reasonable spouse takes a dim view of such an enterprise at this time.

Can anyone offer these at some savings (and be sure to label 'em accordingly)?

Campfield
Court Pendu Plat
D'Arcy Spice
Duchess of Oldenburg
Erwin Baur
Golden Russet
Greensleeves (not heritage, I know)
Harrison (cider)
Karmijn de Sonnaville'
King Edward VII
Lady (Pomme d'Api)
Lolrd Lambourne
Rambour Franc (Summer Rambo)
Red Belle de Boskoop
Tydeman's Late Orange
Wickson Crab
Winston

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, one and all,

Dave Liezen, Spokane, WA z6