nafex - [NAFEX] out-of-zone blackberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] out-of-zone blackberries
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:37:21 -0600

Melissa wrote, "............I've also been hearing good things about laying the canes down and mulching them................."

From my experience, you don't need to mulch your blackberries. All you need to do is weight them down to be covered with snow. A downside to mulching would be having to remove the mulch from all of the prickles. I tried mulching a few plants once and never again.

As for how much sunlight blackberries need, I have some that only receive filtered sunlight and they perform as well as those that receive morning sun that perform as well as those in full sun.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472