nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit wine dilemma

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit wine dilemma
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 04:35:55 +0000

Richard,

I brew beer, but my father used to brew excellent cranberry wine. He used fresh cranberries, sugar and water in a canner kettle - no apple juice involved - and usually bottled it just before it finished fermenting. (I recommend finishing it out until you know what timeframe and temps work in your situation, quite the risk of burst bottles otherwise.) It yielded a slightly fizzy sweet/tart ruby wine that nicely complimented Thanksgiving turkey a year later.
Since you already know more about wine making than I, you can probably determine how much sugar to add (dextrose seems to me worth using, as it is more easily fermented than sucrose and I use it all the time for bottling beer/ale.)
Worth a try. Have fun,

 Dave Liezen
BTW, I can't ask him just what he did: deceased 8 yrs.