nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 08:24:37 -0600

Thanks Michele for the link.

The taste rankings seem confusing.  They rate Ouachita as more flavorful than Apache (which they characterize as intense - I agree) then they mention Ouachita is bitter and awful.  While I wouldn't describe Ouachita as awful, it is a little more prone to bitterness if picked too early.  The smaller berries on the plants are especially prone to bitterness if picked early.  However, Apache always beats Ouachita in flavor here.

They rate Doyle above Triple Crown in flavor, but Doyle is generally recognized as not quite as tasty as Triple Crown.  The advantage of Doyle is its high production.

I also think they rate Navaho too high for flavor.

Of course this is what happens when trying to rank flavor.  It's all pretty subjective.

Mark
KS