nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Can anyone id?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Can anyone id?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:47:38 EST

In a message dated 11/24/2010 9:54:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, rharrison922@yahoo.com writes:

   I may not be any help, but it sure looks a lot like native persimmon to me. However, natives ripen much earlier, I admit. I have seen a kaki nearby that was a bearing tree I think when I was a kid---40 years ago. It has rather small, seeded fruit, which when I first saw the fruit, I thought it was native, not kaki. It turns out to be kaki, but has some fruit characteristics like native. Very astringent until fully ripe, for example. Seedy, too.
  I don't have a clue as to the variety name, but COULD take a photo of it as it has ripe fruit right now.
                                Richard, NW F

Hello Richard,

Happy Thanksgiving. I was more concerned as to who the lady was. I suspect she was from California because of the other pictures on the same photo paper.

The persimmon in could very well be native persimmon but leaned more toward the kaki side because I believe it was in California. It is virtually impossible with the exception of very few varieties to identify them from the picture. No need to take a picture of yours.

Thanks,

Jerry