nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear Flavor

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear Flavor
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:15:24 -0600

I have liked Housui Asian pears as grown by my friend Oriana in northern Illinois.  She says you must thin all Asian pears in order to get the large fruit size that goes with good flavor.

Thanks, Martha. I'd be more inclined to give the tree more time, since I do suspect that I just let it overcrop, if it wasn't such a complete mess anyway. I've never been able to get the thing to branch well. And I don't think I really need THREE Asian pear trees, either.  :-)

The orchard had wall and a top of bird netting. Yes the whole orchard, much like a giant English berry cage.

Heh, heh. That's what I need over my entire yard. Only I think I'd make it of chickenwire, to keep the squirrels out, too!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
What's still missing is a sense of passion and outrage - passion for the goal of ensuring that every American gets the health care he or she needs, outrage at the lies and fear-mongering that are being used to block that goal. - Paul Krugman