nafex - [NAFEX] Brown rot resistant cultivars

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Brown rot resistant cultivars
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:15:53 -0400

For best taste plus best diseases resistance I would pick Clayton for the
peach and Tomcot for the apricot.

Clayton is an excellent tasting yellow-fleshed peach, they don't come any
better. It went out of style because of its supposedly small size but it is
pretty good size for me. Unfortunately it doesn't have many sources; Vaughn
or Cumberland are some places that may have it. If you can't find that one,
Winblo and Carolina Gold are from the same breeding program at NC and are
also very good tasting and highly disease-resistant. Carolina Gold is also
supposed to be late-blooming; I don't have problems with peaches getting
frozen out though so I don't pay attention to peach bloom times.

Tomcot has been the best on the brown rot front of the couple other
yellow-fleshed apricots I have and its blossoms are quite cold resistant so
overall its well ahead of the pack, especially when you add in the excellent
flavor. It may in fact not be very resistant to rot but it is so early that
the harvest is in before brown rot rears its ugly head. The Puget Gold right
next to it gets nailed by rot every other year.

For brown rot resistance I find it is important to plant the trees in an open
spot without wind breaks nearby, and to prune them so there is a lot of light
coming through. Lessons I learned the hard way :-)

Scott
z6/7 MD