nafex - [NAFEX] manchurian apricot seeds sprouting already

  • From: Anton Ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] manchurian apricot seeds sprouting already
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:07:23 -0500

mIEKAL,

this happened to me last year. I kept them alive all winter, staking the spindly little things and putting them under lights. They took up too much space in my dining room. I put them out at what I thought was the right time in the spring but nighttime lows in the 40's brought on the fall colors in May, but most of them bounced back and sprouted new leaves midsummer. They're still in the nursery so we will see how the do next year.

If I had to do it again I thought about keeping them alive for a month or so, then allowing to go dormant and putting in the cellar, then planting out next spring. Not sure if that's the best solution.

This time I saved my dried prunus pits and just planted out today . . . we'll see how they go next year.

Anton Ptak
W. Wisc Zone 4a