nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherry Scions

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherry Scions
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:50:39 +0000

You might look up "chip-bud grafting," and I believe you will find a description of what you've done. I did the same with two cultivars of apple two months ago. All buds from my Ashmead are bonded (there's a new take on the term!) or rather, callused, but none of the buds lived from another tree that I can see now is struggling to survive.
Good idea about cherries. The Morello pie cherry out back would be a prime candidate, if I can find dwarfing rootstock. (The only sort I know of currently produces a 15' tree, bigger than most folks want in a back yard.) Pie cherries are so tough I imagind it'd be a cinch to bud-graft.
Thanks for the fine idea.
                  Dave, E. WA, z6