nafex - Re: [NAFEX] true golden russet/ scionwood?

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] true golden russet/ scionwood?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:41:39 +0000

Thanks for 'Lowville' (rhymes w/ Cow-ville) update, Steve.

Did everyone who wanted scion of that chance seedling (nice yellow apple,
sweet-tart, Sept; pretty good per diseases & insects) receive it?

I also have scionwood for the 2 "golden russets". I don't know their true
names. They were propagated from 2 old local trees which had done well for
many years. I prefer the "October Russet" to the "November Russet", partly
because the Nov Rus probably better for z5 & good soil than my z4 & light
soil.

Skip, when I compared these 2 russets to available descriptions, I found too
much contradictory info to confidently put cultivar names to them. I
recommend you survey the russets being grown in your area, and collect
scionwood of the ones you like. Growers willing to share scion will probably
share a story too, and these are also worth collecting.

tc, s WI, no real rain since Sept 1, not much computer access either.