nafex - [NAFEX] Highbush Cranberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Highbush Cranberry
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:12:19 -0500

Craig Evankoe asked, "Does anyone have a recipe for making this palatable?"

Here at Brambleberry Fruit Farm, we blend it with Wild Black Cherry to make our Fruit of the Forest Syrup, a customer favorite. There is no bad smell. We process the fruit by heating it to 180 degrees for ten hours in an electric roaster. Prior to bottling, we heat the fruit juice blend to 190 degrees.
We plan to make a jelly of it but, instead of pectin and boiling, we will use xanthan gum or carob bean gum as a thickener and not boil it. It seems that the process of boiling Highbush Cranberry is what brings out the nasties.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Highbush Cranberry, Jim Fruth, 10/15/2010