nafex - [NAFEX] Monsanto and tin hats

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Monsanto and tin hats
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:54:26 -0500

I don't think you have to be irrational to have some concerns about Monsanto's motive's and whether they coincide with the long term best interests of the citizens of this country and the world.  I believe it's a rational argument that when you put BT in corn you are using it in a rigid way that will allow quick resistance development because it removes the ability to rotate your pesticides.

The argument I've heard from organic growers is that Monsanto's corn will give them a relatively short burst of profit and then deprive organic growers of one of the most important arrows in their quiver of effective pesticides when the insects develop resistance.  It is not a question of if this will happen but when.

Of course corporations are sociopathic and short sighted in their manner of operating.  That is how they are constructed and it is the nature of our capitalistic system.  I'm all for that and wouldn't want corporations to operate in any other way.  It is for our government to function as the conscience and the steward in the introduction of new technology.

I think the reason perfectly intelligent people are very suspicious of Monsanto is that they rationally realize that the politicians function in much the same way as corporations in their need for campaign financing and often future employment when they leave politics.  How can we take this conflict of interest out of our system of governance?

Now if Monsanto can come up with GM fruit that's resistant to plum curculio and scab  I'm definitely all ears.