nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scientists and Soldiers Solve a Bee Mystery (NY Times)

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scientists and Soldiers Solve a Bee Mystery (NY Times)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:56:58 -0500

I'm not sure what there was to disclose. Bayer did not fund this research.
Would Dr. Bromenshenk be obligated, or even expected, to disclose he had
received past grant money from Bayer, when this study had nothing to do w/
Bayer? With this line of thinking, the flip side would be any researcher
who had ever received grant money from an environmental group would
naturally be disqualified from doing any research associated with potential
negative effects pesticides might have on the environment (including bees).

I think Dr. Bromenshenk makes a reasonable point that he didn't study the
effects of pesticides on bees because there is already plenty of focus in
that direction. In fact, many have already charged, tried, and convicted
Bayer as responsible for CCD (prematurely in my opinion).

If Dr. Bromenshenk's research is faulty, fine, let his research be
criticized, but these ad hominem attacks on his person reveal more about the
people attacking him than the quality of his research.

Mark