nafex - [NAFEX] Apple trees draw bears into urban area of Missoula, Montana

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple trees draw bears into urban area of Missoula, Montana
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:26:17 -0400

From the grizzly-commons list:

<http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_529831f8-d5b6-11df-861a-001cc4c002e0.html>

I wonder if a partial solution for the long term would be to plant
well-chosen hardy apple trees, grafted trees and maybe seedlings
from likely crosses, in more remote areas for the bears. Conceivably
this would be a way to harness pro-bear and public safety interests,
and the bears, in the service of breeding hardy apples.

I note that apparently there are apple cultivars hardy to about Agriculture Canada plant hardiness zone 1b.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

  • [NAFEX] Apple trees draw bears into urban area of Missoula, Montana, Douglas Woodard, 10/12/2010