nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wolf River

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wolf River
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:14:38 -0400

The only Wolf River I can remember eating was one I bought at the local farmers' market. While bland it had an excellent crisp, fine texture which I thought was one of its virtues. Wolf River is reputed to do best on sandy soil, and my guess is that mine was grown on the sandy loam peach soil of which we have a lot here. Maybe time of picking is a factor.

Wolf River is said to be resistant to many diseases, and to be one of the easiest apples to grow, as well as being cold-hardy. The impression I have from reading is that it is an apple which competes best in zones 5 and especially 4.

For people on sandy or maybe loam soil in a cool area who want to grow a few apples without much effort and who are not too demanding, maybe want apples as much for sauce and pies as fresh eating, maybe have hungry young children, I'd say Wolf River is not to be despised. I'm thinking especially of Ontario cottage country.

For someone who has the climate, technique, equipment and time to grow a number of more demanding apples, I suspect that Wolf River might not be of much interest, except maybe as an iron ration in a bad season.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, zone 7a