nafex - Re: [NAFEX] English orchards, was Re: Pavlovsk seed bank: Update

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] English orchards, was Re: Pavlovsk seed bank: Update
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:25:51 -0400

"Orchards may vanish by the end of the century, conservationists warn
Natural England and National Trust project launched to preserve rare
varieties of apples, pears and plums, bring communities together and
protect biodiverse habitats"

I am appalled. Are we so removed from reality that we do not value and
cannot protect what sustains us?

I heard a BBC interview last month discussing the topic of high
commodity prices, in particular wheat. The host asked the question to
the expert (and I paraphrase)- "why should our listeners care about the
price and availability of grains such as wheat"?