nafex - [NAFEX] deb looking for apples to plant

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] deb looking for apples to plant
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 20:31:25 +0000

Hello Deb;

I have a Wolf River here in z6 MA. The first apple I picked this year weighed exactly one pound.
It's a good cooking apple for baked apples / sauce; fair for fresh eating. More a novelty.

If you want to begin eating good apples in August, look at Williams Pride and Pristine. They are disease resistant, too.
In Maine, my soil is clay loam that sometimes doesn't drain too well.
Buying trees on M111 rootstock has helped.

Hudson's Golden Gem is on my wish list!
For a good Pie Apple, you might look at a Rhode Island Greening.
I have to prop up the branches, so much fruit.

Another good low-disease apple I have here in z6 is Jonafree.

Also, don't forget to plant a good, late ripening keeper for winter eating!

Hope you're good and confused.
My work here is done!

Murph

R A Murphy Jr