nafex - Re: [NAFEX] short story about Texas growers of jujube now jujube varieties

  • From: Edward Self <txrarefruitgrowers@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] short story about Texas growers of jujube now jujube varieties
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

I grow jujubes in the Houston area. I did not like them for several years. Then the late Sam Powers told me to harvest the fruit early in the morning. Once I started harvesting early in the morning the fruit had a better flavor. Also jujubes are really easy to graft. I have 8 varieties grafted onto one tree. The Honey Jar variety taste quite a bit better than the So variety. You can find a lot of varieties available. I recommend grafting several varieties on your tree until you find one that you really like!

Thanks,

Ed Self
Katy, Texas